HISTORY OF NORTHEASTERN COLLEGE
The Northeastern College Institute, now the Northeastern College was founded in 1941 by educationally-minded citizens, Atty. Francisco E. Pascual, his wife, Doña Emeteria Bautista Pascual, and Mr. Leon Cadaoas who were all residents of Santiago, Isabela.
The Institute, the first to offer secondary education in the province, originally started with first and second year levels with Doòa Emeteria B. Pascual serving as the classroom teacher and principal in one.
When World War II broke out in December 1941, its operation was temporarily cut short. Four years later, (August 1945) the school, housed in a rented building Barangay Dubinan resumed its operation this time offering complete secondary education.
From 1945 to 1948, enrolment considerably increased prompting the Board of trustees to approve the construction of a two-storey building on the site where today it presently stands.
Inspired with the three years of successful operation, the members of the Board of Trustees conceived the opening of a tertiary education to cater higher educational needs of its high school graduates. This marked the birth of its college department offering initially the courses Bachelor of Science in Education, Commerce and General Associate in Arts with Mr. Vicente P. Salvador as the first college dean. The opening of the normal course necessitated the opening of a complete elementary education which served as the training ground of its teacher trainees.
On April 25, 1949, the first commencement exercises of the Normal Department of the college was held followed by another one on December 17, 1949. The following years ear-marked not only progress in terms of enrolment but also in education output where most of it graduates find themselves in gainful employment after graduation. The efficient management of the college coupled with effective instruction was the college’s greatest investment made in past five decades that more college courses were clamored for by the community.
Today, in response to this clamor, the college now offers fifteen (15) undergraduate courses including the newly-offered Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Midwifery Education, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering , Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication, five post graduate studies and six computer short-term courses.
From its humble beginning, NC now stands as one of the formidable educational institutions in the valley as attested by the constant increase in enrolment, regular faculty development, continuous improvement of its educational facilities and its active involvement in the community.
Foremost, it lives by its mission as the valley’s true “Mint of Wisdom”.